Thursday, May 5, 2016

Mother's Day 2016


I’m not sure that my daughters fully appreciate what a truly wonderful mother they have.   I know that they love her and they appreciate her as much as they can at this moment in time, but like all of us until we have children of our own, I don’t think they really get it.   They don’t see the tears or hear the prayers or know how much she simply wants them to be happy.  They don’t grasp the sacrifices she makes, or the pain she feels when they hurt, or the depth of her love for them.    As they were once a part of her body as she carried and protected them to birth, she continues to try to protect them as she carries them in her heart.   There is no greater bond.

This weekend as we celebrate Mother’s Day, two of our girls are not only leaving the nest, but leaving the state.   Shelby and Ashlyn are moving to Asheville, North Carolina and our emotions are battling.    We are happy for them, and proud.   We know they will do well and are excited for their new adventure,  but we are also worried and a more than a little bit sad.  

For once, I think I am less worried than Connie.   I think it’s because I see so much of her in my girls.   Smart, independent and beautiful.   She has given them the best of herself, like a good mother does.   They are well prepared for life and being on their own because of the things she’s taught them and the example she has set.   

This weekend won’t be easy, but it’s a tribute to my incredible wife and mother to my children that we are all bound together by such a strong love for each other.   No matter where they go or what they do, I hope my children will remember that...and to call their Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment