Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Lives in the Balance


Like a lot of people around the world, I’ve been following the story of the soccer team and coach trapped in the cave in Thailand.    In a time when we seem to be bombarded by bad news daily, the completed rescue of these young men so far away makes the Earth seem a little smaller and a little brighter today.   The heroism and fortitude of the rescuers has been amazing and inspiring.    I am in awe of their bravery.

Now that the team is out of the cave and recovering in the hospital, I can’t help but wonder how they got to such a dangerous place.   I’m always curious about the decisions that are made when bad things happen.  

Anyone that knows me can tell you that I’m not the most “adventurous” guy around.   I’m definitely a worse case scenario thinker.   It kind of drives my family crazy.    I don’t like risks or taking chances, especially when lives are at stake.    I am sure I miss out on a lot of fun because of this, and I’m sure that my girls have too, but I am my mother’s child.   I’m a worrier.

The story I hear about this 25-year-old assistant coach and his young soccer team is that they went exploring the cave after a game.   Apparently, there was a sign at the entrance of the cave that warned of potential flash floods.   That means that either the leader read the sign and ignored the danger, or he was oblivious to the sign and walked past it without reading.

This also means that he was either not fully aware of the cave and its dangers (meaning he had not done any prior research or had any general knowledge of it), or he knew all this and ignored it, therefore endangering not only himself, but his young team, who followed him.   He apparently did not check the weather or knew it was monsoon season.    He was completely unprepared for potential problems and did not have proper supplies or food to sustain them in case of problems.     He (and those that followed him) blindly and stubbornly entered the cave and kept going deeper and deeper until they realized they had reached a point of no return.  

Hundreds of people aided in the search and rescue, with dozens of workers and divers risking their lives in the flooded cave system to find and extract the team.   One diver lost his life in the effort.

I can’t help but see the blatant parallels in the leadership, lack of skills and general knowledge with our current national situation.      There was no sense of the great responsibility required.    Lives were at stake, yet the most dangerous path was chosen.   The unbelievable arrogance of saying, “follow me, I know what I’m doing,” despite knowing very little.

At what point, I wonder, did the young team begin to question his leadership?   Did they ever?  Even when they were trapped miles deep in total darkness with waters rising that could soon choke out their lives…did they ever say, “why did we follow you here?” 

Fortunately, they have lived to see the sun again, but only because of the sacrifice of others.    I hope they learn from their mistake, and so does the world; that following someone who doesn’t know what they are doing, and leads without the best interests of those following, is not only foolish, but very dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment