Thursday, August 13, 2009

Georgia on my mind (part four)

Last night I wrote a lovely three page tribute describing our visit to downtown Atlanta. I poured my heart and soul into it. Without a doubt, it was the finest piece of writing I have ever done. I fell asleep with the words still sparkling on the screen…lulling me to slumber with the graceful rhythm of their exquisite flow.

This morning, I awoke to find my computer rebooted and my masterpiece gone. Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom had installed a security update and forced a restart upon my unsuspecting pc. No worries, I thought, I’m pretty sure I had saved it.

Alas, no…I had fallen asleep without saving. No “Georgia on my mind, part 4” in My Documents. I tried not to panic, there was still hope…Microsoft Word saves a draft when unexpectedly interrupted, so it should be there.

I hate Microsoft right now. Not only did it reboot my computer without asking my permission, it destroyed what could have been a Pulitzer Prize winning travelogue about the hopes, dreams, drama and celebrations of a visit to downtown Atlanta. Bill Gates, you will hear from my attorney!

I have considered trying to recreate what was once so vividly alive on the page, but the words are not there. Once you have tapped into inspiration with such clarity, it’s hard to find your way again. The words, like the actual experience itself, are gone with the wind.

Nevertheless, I feel I cannot leave you, my dear friends and readers, hanging. While I might someday return to give a hazy recounting of that beautiful, fateful day, all I can offer to you now is this brief synopsis. It’s all I have to give.

• Downtown Atlanta
• Lots of traffic
• Parking garage
• Coca-Cola
• Polar Bear…cute and funny
• 4-D movie (embarrassing moment for me)
• Tasting room
• Burping
• Walking around Centennial Olympic Park
• Splashing in the fountains
• Chili dogs at the Varsity
• IKEA was a big, big store and a big, big store was it
• Back to Stone Mountain
• Laser show


As you can tell, it was very exciting. Then we came home.

I hate Microsoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment