Saturday, February 6, 2010

Writing

I’m pretty deep into one of my whiny “what am I doing with my life” wallows right now. I usually get this way when I feel like I’m spinning my wheels…wasting my rapidly diminishing days away. I’m not a fun guy to be around when I’m like this. It’s probably good that I’m sitting alone in a hotel watching the cold wind blow snow around outside, otherwise I’d be bringing other people down with me, and who needs that kind of guilt?

Of course, some would say that it’s because I’m sitting in a lonely hotel room watching the cold wind blow snow around that I’m a bit depressed, and I appreciate their optimism. I just don’t agree with it. I’m used to sitting in hotel rooms alone. It’s kind of sad, but true. “Loner” is my middle name, so I really don’t think that’s the problem.

I think my problem is that I haven’t been writing. I did a lot of writing in 2009, and many of you humored me by reading and making the occasional comment. I felt productive, which is something I don’t often feel as an employee of the U.S. Government.

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve started and deleted several blog pieces, none of which got very far. Any ideas I had seemed cursed as “too bitter,” “too pointless” or “too bizarre.” (I know what you’re thinking…”how is that different from any other blog pieces you’ve written?”) Writing is a process. My process is highly flawed.

Most of my recent ideas have been about triggered by current events, usually something stupid a politician said or did. Those are always fun to write, but since my last post was about politics, I didn’t want to repeat myself. Although I care about such things, I wonder if you would even notice? Most of my ideas have been about triggered by current events, usually something stupid a politician said or did. Those are always fun to write, but since my last post was about politics, I didn’t want to repeat myself. Although I care about such things, I wonder if you would even notice?

I’ve been tempted to start a separate blog, one that is completely political and can be easily ignored by those who either don’t like politics or don’t agree with anything I have to say on the subject. I wouldn’t take it personally. I ignore people I don’t agree with, like Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and that crazy, drunk homeless guy who sits on bench number four in Washington’s Dupont Circle. Writing a separate blog would be easier than having some poor, unsuspecting soul start to read one of my blog posts, expecting that it’s one of my whimsical walks down memory lane, or a description of my latest humiliation, and then learning, too late, that instead it dares to question the integrity of Sarah Palin, or argues the logic of not banning assault weapons.

The good thing (for me, at least), is that I can always find something to rant about in the political arena. It’s a rare week when someone in office doesn’t say or do something totally stupid which either ticks me off or makes me shake my head. Hypocrisy seems to be the one quality that most politicians have in common.

So…that is why I’ve decided to start another blog. I will not be linking it to Facebook Notes, so if you want to read it, you’ll have to sign up as a follower at the blog site. That way, I can write (which seems to keep me somewhat sane), and you can ignore (which might allow me to keep at least a few friends, as well as continued membership in both mine and my wife’s respective families).

No comments:

Post a Comment